Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Thanks for visiting the Flooring Forum. Here you'll find all sorts of advice and discussion on all sorts of flooring, such as carpet, vinyl, laminate, hardwood, amtico, and more. As you are not logged into the flooring forum you won't be able to use the full features of the forum. Please login, or register for free, to use all the features of the forum.

Discuss American style stairs in the Pictures of Your Work area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Glenn H

Glenn H Active Member Pro Floor Fitter

Customer asked for the stairs to be fitted "American style". this is what they wanted. turned out nice, what do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. Newton

Newton New Member

Don't think the yanks use gripper, unless it's waterfall, they staple everything .
    Remember telling my dad they did this, starting from the bottom. His reply was to slap me around the head and tell me not to be stupid!

3. 1940

1940 Active Member Pro Floor Fitter

What is stupid about starting from the bottom

4. Glenn H

Glenn H Active Member Pro Floor Fitter

I think it's suppose to help keep the fitting tighter. You have a better strike with a bolster this way.

5. 1940

1940 Active Member Pro Floor Fitter

I've never done it any other way,I was taught that way, bottom to top, tried top to bottom some years ago, just couldn't get along with it, could get it tight enough with just my hands.

6. Newton

Newton New Member

Im guessing he'd been taught to fit on gripper from the top. Blew his mind when I showed him a stair stretcher being used!!!