Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Thanks for visiting the Flooring Forum. Here you'll find all sorts of advice and discussion on all sorts of flooring, such as carpet, vinyl, laminate, hardwood, amtico, and more. As you are not logged into the flooring forum you won't be able to use the full features of the forum. Please login, or register for free, to use all the features of the forum.

Discuss " At work with pk " in the Pictures of Your Work area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Persistent King

Persistent King Well-Known Member Pro Floor Fitter

Well you have all done fitting diarys of your selfs so i thought id do one of mine.
    Well todays work was for a new customer i have never worked for before, they picked a 50 oz 80/20 and i drafted my mate keith in who has his own company (fairways carpets) to give me a hand.
    the job was 110 sq yrdsand we booked it in for a day and a half, 3 beds ,diningroom and a h.s.l.

we arrived at 8.30am to rooms of furnature:incazzato: and after a breif moan got stuck in, we started by emptying two of the bedrooms,

prep obssetion, i am obssesed with good prep i like grippers with no gaps and underlay joins taped up so no dust can get through my mate takes the p on how long it takes me to prep but in my opinion it makes the fitting much easier:thumbsup:

Attached Files:

Pab and carpetfingers like this.
  2. big al

big al New Member Pro Floor Fitter

Re: A day fitting with pk part 1

nice grippering,but the 9,s on your underlay arent lined up. shame on you.lol

3. Persistent King

A day fitting with pk part 2

Ready for fitting ,:santa_wink:
    The main bedroom was 23ft long and was a strugle getting upstairs (but i made sure keith was at the front):evil2: ,
    After spreading out i set my power strecher up as anything that long i cant be bothered bashing my knees and i think its much easier to just power strech something that size, i have the tool on the van so why not use it ?,
    as it was a new customer i got the usual "what the hells that" ?and after 5 min of explaining how it works he left the room very impressed:40:
    I power streched the length and used my knee kicker on the width, used my speed cat to anchor it all around before back cutting in,
    i have only been fitting this way about 6 to 12 months as i used to hook and bolster in but have got into the habbit of anchor with speed cat , back cut, tuck with lino knife then run my awl down gully ,
    It takes longer but i think it looks neater and theres less chance of marking the skirtings, it works for me anyway:thumbsup:

Quick hoover, swap some furnature about then hit the second bedroom :santa_wink:

Attached Files:

4. Gripper

Gripper Guest

yeah at least line em up or flip round so it says cloud 69 :D

5. big al

nice one

6. swerve

swerve Active Member Pro Floor Fitter

Re: A day fitting with pk part 2

I use an awl aswell not many seem to do though, also handy for stretching the carpet in places where u cant get a kiker into

7. foxpod

foxpod Well-Known Member Pro Floor Fitter

About time PK !!

Good on ya mate,looking forward to the Diary my friend.... ;)

8. foxpod

Wheres the bolster..??... :D H hee hee,I`m proper rough me........:29:

9. Persistent King

A day fitting with pk part 3

Third bedroom was a re fit that he had in his garage it was damp and after setting the patern up and streching it i couldnt back cut it as the backing was falling to bits :damn: so i had to hook it in, as i was doing that keith was prepping stairs and land for me to follow.

After that i fitted the landing, 4 pm keith put the stairs on (top to bottom:nono:) while i uplifted the old gripper in the hall that some joker had put down:chris: and pre stuck the gripper in the hall and diningroom ready for tomorow morning :santa_wink:

Well my freinds that is a day fitting with pk :crowngrin: hope you enjoyed :santa_wink:

Attached Files:

10. foxpod

Re: A day fitting with pk part 3

Enjoyed very much mate, thank god theres no part 4 tonight:ack2:

:D :D

Nice one.. ;)

11. big al

looking forward to part 4

12. gareths

gareths New Member Pro Floor Fitter

i guess you work in a different area to poor old ukpassking lol:santa_wink: seriosly though nice work:icon4:

13. Flooring Assessments

Flooring Assessments Banned Pro Floor Fitter

nice work mate.

14. carpetman1970

carpetman1970 Active Member Pro Floor Fitter

Nice , i'm interested in the Speedcat, earlier this year I bought the EZ tuck and it revolutionised the way I fit. Unfortunately the tool itself has not been up to the job and fell to bits on a regular basis therefore I am loathed to buy another. Is the Speedcat a tool you would recommend ?

thanks

Ray

15. Persistent King

I had the ez tuck before the speedcat and didnt like it , the wheel kept stiffning up etc...

The speedcat is realy good if your into using tucking tools :santa_wink:

16. Flooring Assessments

speed cat works well.

17. carpetman1970

Its interesting to see how others work. It gives me a wee bit extra confidence if thats the right word to see that I do things in similar way to you full time pro's !! :smiley2:

Where do you find the time to take photies tho. It was 8.30 as it was before i got finished tonight !! :laugh4:

18. carpetman1970

Tucking tools like a lino knife and awl you mean ?

19. carpetman1970

I assume you use it more for creasing the carpet and setting on the pins than for actually tucking ?

20. Persistent King

yes but the speedcat creases and tucks also i just prefer to tuck with my lino knife , personal preferance thats all
    I know fitters that crease with speedcat cut with trim master then tuck with speed cat

21. carpetman1970

Hmm..... I might just invest in one, always looking for new ways to improve or should i say 'fine tune' the way i fit .

1 person likes this.
  22. nottm

nottm Member Pro Floor Fitter

i was going to buy a speed cat, but i use the handle of my scissors (12", smaller ones dont seem to work to well) to anchor on, which works for me. I hav'nt used a power stretcher for a few years, put me off when i kept having to glue skirtings back on, ended up having to use my foot, and putting it inbetween the skirting.

23. ukpassking

ukpassking New Member Pro Floor Fitter

What time did you finish @ ?
    3bedrooms H-S-L and dining room 2 days? with 2 fitters?

24. Persistent King

started at 8.30 finished at 5 pm and back tomorow to do the hall and diningroom

25. ukpassking

If I was doing that job I would start at about 9 O'clock and finish for 5-30 6 O'clock.
    And don't gimme all that shet about a good fitter takes his time bla bla bla
    Iam a good fitter and do take my time, its just iam naturally fast at my job

26. Persistent King

yeh ok fair enough mate im slow :santa_wink:

27. big al

I think we are going back overold ground here,we know you are fast as you have told us but we have said before that some of us dont work like that,just look at the grippering that brian does you dont do that fast he takes his time and does it well, i would be over the moon if in a few years time i walked in to a job like that with prep work so tidy,and if the job has enough money in it i would rather take 2 days than rush around like a lunatic. each to there own.

stretchersi and paul w like this.
  28. Flooring Assessments

have you taken a look at bri's gripper work etc. Would you be so quick if you was installing gripper properly like bri? how long does it take you to set up your power stretcher and stretch the carpet also? or do you use your kicker only in large rooms etc?

29. ukpassking

Fair enough, fair comments I agree, each to there own.

use my kicker only in large rooms? use it in all rooms mate.
    Power stretcher Ive had for about 3yrs now, I had to buy it, a fitter I knew was leaving the job and offered it me for £150, So i bought it, but to be honest it stays at home 99.9% of the time i think ive used it 3times at the most.
    OUT,

And yes PK does a real nice job, Its not that often I get to feel good about a job, but i feel good when i put money in my pocket.

30. ukpassking

PK how much do you charge for re-fits? do you charge more? I always find they eat blades and are a lot more difficult to stretch. I try to stay clear from them.