Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Thanks for visiting the Flooring Forum. Here you'll find all sorts of advice and discussion on all sorts of flooring, such as carpet, vinyl, laminate, hardwood, amtico, and more. As you are not logged into the flooring forum you won't be able to use the full features of the forum. Please login, or register for free, to use all the features of the forum.

Discuss Mitre a stripe carpet to change direction of stripes. in the Tips & Tricks area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Fitter Az

Fitter Az New Member

Hi, I have a job coming up next week which is a stairs landing stripe carpet job. Customer want stripes going up stairs but on landing they want them to run across. They asked if it could be mitre seamed !!! I have seen some roger oats stripes like this and it looks the nuts. Never been asked to do it before. Was wondering weather it would be better to seam it up on the landing or seam it before I fit it all? My guess is that it has to be a perfect 45 or the stripes won't match. But if the landing isn't a perfect 45 to the staircase then the stripes will run out and job will be poor. Any tips would be good. Cheers fitters

2. Bobo

Bobo Commonwealth Consultant Pro Floor Fitter

Sent you a PM.
    Regards bobo.

Attached Files:

3. carpetboy

carpetboy Active Member Pro Floor Fitter

Hi Bobo , I would appreciate a P.M. as well please explaining the planning and initial construction of the mitre . e.g. was it bound / heat seamed etc. Did you merely lie carpet on carpet to match stripes then cut through both carpets , also could you just cut / bind the stairs as normal and have the half landing piece separate and a bit longer than needed so it could be cut in last by moving the stripes up to the steps to get the match across the half landing correct Thanks in advance mate

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  4. Aaron

Aaron New Member

How did it go fitter az? Any tips?

5. I'd like the answer to this question. That pic Bobo put up looks the tits.

6. 1940

1940 Active Member Pro Floor Fitter

If that join isn't 100%it will fray. Don't like joins in walk ways

7. VitoManiac

VitoManiac Active Member Pro Floor Fitter

Hopefully the landing is 90 degrees to the stairs or your angles will be wrong lol.

8. Andrew51

Andrew51 New Member

I would think that seaming cement would have been used on this installation.

9. Bobo

Bobo Commonwealth Consultant Pro Floor Fitter

Copydex used on the edges.

tedmaced likes this.
  10. Rugmuncher

Rugmuncher Member

Not for me, I think it looks crap imo

11. timboid

timboid New Member

Hi Bobo

That carpet looks like Brockway Dimensions Heathers Stripe (Sage or Jubilee) -- exactly the same carpet that we want laid down and mitred in our hallway, stairs and landing, but our carpet fitter doesn't really want to do it. Not wanting to teach granny to suck eggs, but are there any hints, tips or tricks I can relay to my fitter to help ease his mind and convince him otherwise?

Cheers
    T