Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Thanks for visiting the Flooring Forum. Here you'll find all sorts of advice and discussion on all sorts of flooring, such as carpet, vinyl, laminate, hardwood, amtico, and more. As you are not logged into the flooring forum you won't be able to use the full features of the forum. Please login, or register for free, to use all the features of the forum.

Discuss Stripe winders landing stairs in the Pictures of Your Work area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. d-man

d-man New Member

Haven't posted my work before.
    Here's a few pictures was full prep jobby gripper bars u/lay cloud 9contract
    I also fitted the LVT in the hall dinner lounge (no pics)
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. d-man

d-man New Member

Just realised pics are repeated and side ways .....

3. Bobo

Bobo Commonwealth Consultant Pro Floor Fitter

...Ah, but did you get paid twice??:rolleyes:

4. d-man

d-man New Member

No chance....

5. sidnee

sidnee Well-Known Member Pro Floor Fitter

Like it that the hall is going across the stair pattern, I wish more customers would understand that it looks better, when H/S/L stripes go the same way it looks like some kind of optical mind f*ck.

6. d-man

d-man New Member

Main landing going same way as straight flight. Then winders to attic are so stripe ran vertical (hope making sense)

7. jasper

jasper Member

looks good d-man , you can only do what you can with that landing ,as it was never going to match the second flight of stairs

8. d-man

d-man New Member

Yeah this is it customer over the moon so that's main thing

tedmaced likes this.
  9. St1gzee

St1gzee Member

Good standard of workmanship.

d-man likes this.
  10. Vanessa Dickenson

Vanessa Dickenson New Member

Lovely job!!! Love stripes on winders

11. larry

larry Active Member Pro Floor Fitter

Why ? Vanessa most fitters hate them because of line up problems, just interested in a buyer's perspective.

12. Vanessa Dickenson

I am very lucky to work for a flooring shop that has amazing fitters who are really good at stripework. We often have customers come in who have been told by the big stores that stripes are impossible. I am very proud of the work they do it looks stunning and they dont charge stupid prices :)

13. larry

Sorry I thought you were a end user rather than someone in the trade.
    Interested in knowing how your fitters line up stripes on winders especially the broader stripes, any pictures perchance. Glad to hear your proud of them,please tell them occasionally we all like a pat on the back now an then. If you don't mind me asking what is the approx charge for doing this.

14. Vanessa Dickenson

Hi Larry. Have a look at our facebook page the floor store kent all the pics on there are all our work. Our fitters charge £2.70sqm plus extra 20 for stairs plus another 10 for stripes. We dont profit from our fitters all the fitting costs go direct to them

Bobo likes this.
  15. Macleodoftheclan

Macleodoftheclan Member

Hi Vanessa, as Larry said, I too was interested in what you said about your fitters lining the stripes up. So I did indeed look upon your fb page. The fitting looks to be of an high standard and stripes on stairs do seem to very popular going by how many there is on the page. However, when a picture is taken looking from the front of the stairs, you can clearly see that all the stripes do not match exactly the winder above or below it. They have certainly done the best they can and should be congratulated. It is true to say that it's impossible to match all the stripes. I believe that was what Larry was referring to.
    It is a good looking fb page and looks like you have many a happy customer. Well done.

16. larry

It's reported that there's probably only 3 fitters in the UK that can bend stripes to make the pattern to line up on winders or 1/4 turn landings, some people think its a wind-up. Even they admit it's only possible on certain carpets and certainly not woven ( I.e. axminster/Wilton).
    The price for doing this service is expensive £50 - 100 per set of winders.
    Then there is the Rodger oskes carpet ( mostly runners ) that can be stretched/shrunk to match the stripe, although this is very costly carpet and its recommended that you attend one of their training courses to learn the proper techniques.

17. Macleodoftheclan

Macleodoftheclan Member

Seems a fair price for the time it must take and the knowledge to do it.
    I remember the first time I had a stripe to fit on stairs with winders and the first thing
    the the customer said was that the salesman said it would match all the way down!
    That's why they went with that shop and not a previous shop I worked for. Funny thing was
    I left the previous shop because it was run without to many standards. But in this case they gave sound advice!
    I sat and scratched my head a fair few minutes wondering how I could match it.
    Eventually rang the manager who confirmed you can't match the winders so told her she should maybe tell
    her salesman not to say we can !
    The cheaper stripes also had wildly differing pattern matches which didn't enable the estimator much chance of measuring
    correctly. A few times I had to join a bullnose. Being a stripe you can't see the joins at least!

18. larry

The first stripes I remember were really bedroom or light domestic quality with the likes of funky stripes with a 105 cm repeat which meant that you only get 3 runs of stairs across the width, also one selvedge edge ( usually the left side) the stripe was normally bigger than its corresponding repeat, meaning if you set that edge down the side of stairs you would never find a match stripe. The the other popular repeat was the 27" again very very wastefull ( unless you were doing runners ) because on a normall staircase that meant you had to use up 54" to to get the match. Most estimators couldn't get their heads round it so just allowed plenty (some still got it wrong ) then your left explaining to the customer why you have enough waste to cover a box bedroom.
    Then of course very few striped patterns have any symmetry so no real central design, so left up to the fitters discretion as where to center the pattern which in turn effects the pattern on the landing. So yes all in all stripes are a bit of a pain..

19. larry

Not my work !!! Wish it was FB_IMG_1425820225290.jpg

Bow likes this.
  20. Debdeecarpetgal

Debdeecarpetgal Well-Known Member Pro Floor Fitter

oh my!...how is that possible?!

21. Bobo

Bobo Commonwealth Consultant Pro Floor Fitter

beats me. photoshop maybe?

Debdeecarpetgal likes this.
  22. bonnerston

bonnerston Well-Known Member Pro Floor Fitter

plain carpet and 4 coloured pens

Debdeecarpetgal likes this.
  23. St1gzee

St1gzee Member

Bull. Someones mocking this forum and killing years of experienced fitters striped work...it dont wash with me. They should be strung up at the bottom of the street as an example of how not to behave on a forum where the good people share honest advise...

24. larry

As I said not my work, there's probably 3 people in the uk that claim they can do this, there are also photos of a set of winders, not such an extreme bend but still curved.
    Are they for real or just a wind up, the jury's still out on that but unless they explain how its done there will always be doubter's. They are keeping it a secret for now as of course it gives them the edge over other fitters. Theres speculation on how its done and people have put toward suggestions but they will neither confirm or deny, except to say that it cannot be done on a woven carpet ie axminster/Wilton.

25. St1gzee

St1gzee Member

Ok sorry lol... so at a guess its some computerized carpet making machine..i cannot think of any other way to produce curves in this fashion..can you?...

26. larry

To be honest I may have an idea but it means almost deconstructing the carpet and using a power strecher or mini power strecher and fully sticking the carpet. How this would effect any warranty is arguable.
    I haven't really had the time or inclination (to be honest) to test this theory, I will be taking some days of soon so I may try, but I think the wife has me earmarked for some decorating....

bonnerston likes this.
  27. poves

poves Active Member Pro Floor Fitter

Larry , I had the exact problem you mention with funky stripes , set the landing on the salvage and no repeat to follow down the steps , I was wounded !

28. larry

Yea. I caught on to that one very early as I was nearly caught out, dodged the bullet on that one, I did tell the other boys that worked for the shop but people hear and don't always listen ! And to be honest that crap is/wasn't that cheap.

29. larry

I was right about the decorating, arrived home to pots of paint and bedding samples and brochures,.... Would it be impolite to miss the hint ??

30. bonnerston

bonnerston Well-Known Member Pro Floor Fitter

no carpet right samples then?